Status of the Class with Figurative Language

Figurative language allows the author to add depth and richness to their writing.  For example:

• My dog is a carnivore.  Good, solid factual sentence, but it lacks pizzazz.
  • In the kitchen, when I’m cooking, my dog is a tap dancer.  Can you picture my dog, Pitt, dancing around the kitchen trying to get some food?  This example is a metaphor and adds pizzazz!

Today I want you to post a brief  description of your writing AND I want you to add some pizzazz!  Describe your writing using personification, simile, metaphor or onomatopoeia.

Remember –

• personification gives human thoughts, feelings, characteristics, personality to an inanimate object.  Such as; my desk misses me today while I’m home sick.
  • simile is a comparison that uses like or as.  I’m as sick as a flat tire today.
  • metaphor describes one thing as if it were another.  The hurricane cold hit after days of spinning just off shore.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Status of the Class with Figurative Language

1. firce says:

I’m writing about a story when a team gets stuck behind enemy lines and they killed a dear and cooked it.

2. Mike says:

In ‘TO KILL A DRAGON’ Jack goes through a dimension like I change classes in school.

3. Max says:

Im writing about a little bit of romance, its from a guys perspective so nobody gets dizzy and faints, actually one of the nerdy girls hit the lockers (faint). A handsome, muscly guy (brad) zipps through classes and finally he falls in love with this girl. The girl is unbeleivably beautiful and all he wanted was to stare at her but no, its what love does, it messes with the mind. Finally after a minute or so of akward moment he brushed his mind clear and asked her on a date. What did he get for an answer? read and find out (after im finished writing though). hehe

4. Varya(: says:

My story is about a teenager named Kyle who gets a phone call that almost ended him. It was a call fom his so called “father” who left them seven years earlier, that Kyle’s mother just died. And that message hit Kyle like a huge boulder, because he knew that his life would change forever.

5. evgeny :) lol says:

Im writing about a family that gets lost and they don’t know what to do. They are wet and cold and they don’t know the way back. they have a compass and a gun for protection.

6. Max says:

Whats with the one line sentences guys?

7. katya says:

I am writing about me. How I spent some of my summer roughing out the scary and dangerous ocean with Uncle Nick. We battled waves and got a free faciel salt water wash. On other days it felt like we were in an oven. It was the best couple weeks of my summer vacation.

8. ignaty says:

Im writing a story about two people who are fighting over a girl as if they would die without her like two bears fighting over a fish when thet are starving.

9. ignaty says:

Im writing a story about two people who are fighting over a girl as if they would die without her like two bears fighting over a fish when they are starving.

10. katya says:

I like how you left mistery Varya. I want to read your story now. 🙂

11. alex says:

My story is about one guy that became one of the best paint ball players ever. Fist him and his friends got together to do a little paintballing. But it turned paintballing into to a job. When they were playing teams they took different sides and started to play. It was scarier to play then they thought. When the match started my heart was pumping so fast that he thought that his heart was going to pop out. When they were walking then BAM! Someone shot me from the sided but missed. We ran and hid from the shooter then I noticed that my pans were wet from all that morning rain. Then we shot him at the same time and he was down we did that to everyone in their team and we won. Then this guy came up to me and offered me a job being pro paintballer .

12. Ksenia says:

My story is about two people falling in love. There love is as strong as a metal heart until he tells her that he wants to ask someone else out. But he’s the one that ends up being all alone.

13. Xander says:

My story is about a struggling writer. The writer’s inability to create a original novel torments him, prodding and poking him. Its nagging causes him to search for inspiration in odd places, with some help from a well timed storm.

14. kosta says:

I am writing a non fiction story about last year when Ksenia Dad and I went to bristol bay. How last years season was pretty much a family Operation and that i had to do pretty much every thing on the boat.

15. Mia says:

I am writing about a girl getting her dream come true to go Paris! She invites her friend Ksenia to tag along with her. There friendship was like two peas in a pot did everything together. Something terrible happens on the plane and then her eyes open!

16. kirian says:

I’m writing about a guy who sets out to have a life as an adventurer. He gets into trouble with bandits then he gets attacked by Dragons. He’s saved from dragons but is not being released but is asked to accept a quest. He accepts the quest then he journeys to Dragons mountain and does the quest almost dies like a dead bird. Then fights the dead, but can’t kill them cause they are as dead as Black itself. He meets a homeless guy who is as dumb as a rock