America the Beautiful Essay Contest

Write a personal narrative about a place.  Use sensory words, imagery, figurative language to help readers visualize and gain a sense of that place.  Remember narrative means story, tell us about your first visit, or repeated visits or how the place makes you feel, or . . . . The only other requirement is to use language that can easily be read aloud.

Here’s the link to the web site:

http://www.bestoftheroad.com/education/#content=2&modal=NONE

When you have finished your essay (revised, proofread, peer reviewed), post it to blog by making a comment to this post.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to America the Beautiful Essay Contest

1. Mike says:

BEAUTIFUL KENAI PENINSULA, ALASKA

Alaska, the last frontier. The biggest and most beautiful state in the United States of America. Its size and shape makes it different from the other states. But what do I think about Alaska?

When I get up in the morning, I hear the Kenai Peninsula birds chirping me a good morning. I would look outside and see one of the most beautiful and well known butterflies, the Monarch. Its great orange wings would remind of how nice and comfortable Alaska is, even to the insects and animals. Speaking of animals, Alaska has the greatest, beautiful creatures that are not found anywhere else in the world. They are fuzzy and cute, and like to be living in peace, in which they are on the hills.

There are many things that are awesome about the peninsula I can think about, including a species of the greatest animals of all. Us! We are the structure of Alaska’s beauty. We are the people, who make what we need to survive. We don’t need to be rich to live perfectly, we have each other. I’m talking about care, love, share, joy, and happiness. We are one. Even with us Russian old believers. We came from Russia and no one knows how horrible it was there many years ago. But the people of Alaska greeted us kindly and welcomed us onto the great land.

There is one thing I love about the Kenai Peninsula, Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights. The lights will blow your mind as the blow up the sky with green, red, purple, and blue. Everyone will look up the great Alaskan sky and see the beauty not only on land, but also in the night sky. Its reflection will glow off the oceans and snow that glow like the heavens. The lights tell us stories of the ancient times of Alaska and I smile at its beauty.

But the main thing about where I live is the job. The Kenai Peninsula, fishing industries gives us hope to live. We fish in a variety of ways; long lining, sport fishing, and commercial fishing. These are the greatest ways of making money to live on a great land. We fish for weeks and sometimes 24/7. Work harder and harder, the waves crash above us, the winds howl like wolves. Then the season ends, and we are off home to visit the family that depend on us. Not only is the Kenai Peninsula beautiful, but it is also perfect for life. Alaska, Kenai Peninsula is home.